Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Research Fellowship Award 2022
Call for Applications
The Dubai Harvard Foundation for Medical Research (DHFMR) is pleased to announce that it will be offering the Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Research Fellowship award for 2022. The Award is intended to provide support to a young investigator from the MENA region. It offers a post-doctoral researcher the opportunity to work with a faculty mentor and research group based at Harvard Medical School, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health or one of the Harvard Medical School affiliated hospitals.
DHFMR RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP AWARDS
Over the past fifteen years the Dubai Harvard Foundation for Medical Research has supported twelve post-doctoral Research Fellowships in addition to four research center grants and since 2007 has funded hundreds of students attending the HMS Postgraduate Medical Education programs and HMS Master degrees.
The Bin Talal Research Fellowship recognizes talented young investigators from the MENA region. It is intended to give recipients the flexibility to explore fundamental scientific questions and to lead to a better understanding of the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease. The Fellowship covers the cost of an annual post-doctoral research salary, fringe benefits and laboratory fees.
REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS
The Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Research Fellowship will support an independent post-doctoral researcher, scientist or physician-scientist for up to three years who is dedicated to basic, translational, clinical or epidemiological research, with an emphasis on the two-way transfer between research and patient care. Applicants should be at the beginning or early stages of their research career and demonstrate outstanding promise.
- Applicants’ research should focus on diseases or health issues that are relevant to the population groups within the Middle East and/or North Africa regions.
- The proposed research should bring novel ideas and new approaches to biomedical research.
- Proposed research activities may draw upon recent advances in the basic, translational, clinical and epidemiological sciences – including such fields as biochemistry, cell biology, genetics, immunology, molecular biology, pharmacology, clinical epidemiology, health outcomes research, and population studies – that provide new opportunities for alleviating human disease.
- The Bin Talal Research Fellowship award is designed to encourage the successful applicant to be innovative in their research endeavors, to publish their research findings and eventually to pursue additional sources of support.
- It is intended that the Bin Talal Research Fellow will be matched with a laboratory or research center based at Harvard Medical School, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health or Harvard Medical School affiliated hospital, or with a research center at their home institution and a Harvard Medical School-based mentor.
- The successful applicant will have demonstrated that he/she brings added knowledge and expertise to the host laboratory or research center.
The Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Research Fellowship award is open to individuals with a MD, a PhD or a MD/PhD in medical or biomedical sciences, or in a health-related field. The successful candidate will have demonstrated outstanding performance during their education and training, and will have exhibited promise as contributors in science relevant to human health. DHFMR will favor proposals and applications that exhibit an innovative and creative approach to their chosen field of research.
Candidates should be researchers from the Middle East North Africa region, who are working in the Region or considering returning to work in the Region. The Research Fellowship award is granted for a maximum of three years; the award recipient will be expected to relocate to Harvard Medical School for the entire funded period or for significant amounts of time during the funded period to work with senior researchers and mentors.
Applicants must be under the age of 40 on December 31, 2021.
Candidates for The Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Research Fellowship are invited to submit their application by December 10, 2021, and must include the following information:
1. Name, address and contact information
2. Specific research aim – 1 page
3. Academic accomplishments and research experience – 1 page
4. How the Alwaleed Research Fellowship would benefit their career – 1 page
5. An outline of the proposed research plan and methods – 3 pages
6. Letters of support and recommendation from 3 academic advisors or mentors
7. A brief CV (not to exceed 2 pages).
8. A brief list of relevant publications – 1 page
All previous research experience and accomplishments, the potential to pursue innovative research, demonstrated ability to work independently while part of a larger research team or collaborative effort and publication history will be taken into account.
The DHFMR Fellowship Review Committee will consider all applications for the Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Research Fellowship Award and will recommend the successful candidate to the DHFMR Board of Trustees. The successful candidate will be notified by the DHFMR Board of Trustees after its February 2022 meeting. Funding will be available from July 1, 2022.
Please submit applications to:
Ms. Cheryl King
Dubai Harvard Foundation for Medical Research
Offering a range of skills-based career development programs to medical professionals, scientists and healthcare leaders throughout the world. The fresh and innovative approaches of these programs can be adapted to the specialized needs of an individual, an institution or a region.
PGME Scholarship Support
The Dubai Harvard Foundation for Medical Research (DHFMR) offers tuition support to a limited number of selected candidates in the form of tuition reductions. Reductions will be funded at no more than 50% of tuition. Priority is given to candidates from the United Arab Emirates, but candidates from the GCC and MENA region*, and candidates living and working in the GCC and MENA region, regardless of nationality, will also be considered. Tuition support is awarded on the basis of merit and financial need. To apply for DHFMR support, please select this option on your application.
* The MENA region countries are: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Palestinian Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.