Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Research Fellowship Award 2023
2023 Call for Applications Is Now Open
2023 Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Research Fellowship
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS:
The Dubai Harvard Foundation for Medical Research (DHFMR) is pleased to announce that it will be offering the Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Research Fellowship award for 2023. The award is intended to provide support to young investigators from the MENA region. It offers post-doctoral researchers the opportunity to work with a faculty mentor and research group based at Harvard Medical School, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health or one of the Harvard Medical School affiliated hospitals.
DHFMR RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP AWARDS
To date, the Dubai Harvard Foundation for Medical Research has awarded thirteen Alwaleed awards from the broader MENA region. The Bin Talal Research Fellowship recognizes talented young investigators from the MENA region. It is intended to give recipients the flexibility to explore fundamental scientific questions and to lead to a better understanding of the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease. The Fellowship covers the cost of an annual post-doctoral research salary, fringe benefits and laboratory fees.
For the 2023-2024 award(s) DHFMR plans to offer junior and/or senior fellowship(s); the junior award will be made to accomplished young investigators who are demonstrating excellent and innovative potential in their research. The senior fellowship will recognize researchers whose work demonstrates outstanding promise.
REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS
The Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Research Fellowship award will support an independent post-doctoral researcher, scientists or physician-scientists for up to three years dedicated to basic, translational, clinical or epidemiological research, with an emphasis on the two-way transfer between research and patient care.
- Applicant research should focus on diseases or health issues that are relevant to the population groups within the Middle East and/or North Africa regions.
- The proposed research should bring novel ideas and new approaches to biomedical research.
- Proposed research activities may draw upon recent advances in the basic, translational, clinical and epidemiological sciences – including such fields as biochemistry, cell biology, genetics, immunology, molecular biology, pharmacology, clinical epidemiology, health outcomes research, and population studies – that provide new opportunities for alleviating human disease.
- The Bin Talal Research Fellowship award is designed to encourage the successful applicant(s) to be innovative in their research endeavors, to publish their research findings and eventually to pursue additional sources of support.
- It is intended that the Alwaleed Bin Talal Research Fellow(s) will be matched with a laboratory or research center based at Harvard Medical School, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health or Harvard Medical School affiliated hospital, or with a research center at their home institution and a Harvard Medical School-based mentor.
- The successful applicant(s) will have demonstrated that he/she brings added knowledge and expertise to the host laboratory or research center.
The Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Research Fellowship award is open to individuals with an MD, PhD or MD/PhD in medical or biomedical sciences, or in a health-related field. The successful candidate(s) will have demonstrated outstanding performance during their education and training, and will have exhibited promise as contributors in science relevant to human health. DHFMR will favor proposals and applications that exhibit an innovative and creative approach to their chosen field of research.
Candidates should be researchers from the Middle East North Africa region; either working in the region or elsewhere and considering returning to work in the region. The Research Fellowship award is granted for a maximum of three years; the award recipients will be expected to relocate to Harvard Medical School for the entire funded period or for significant amounts of time during the funded period to work with senior researchers and mentors.
Preference will be given to applicants under the age of 40 on December 31, 2023.
Candidates for The Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Research Fellowship are invited to submit their application by Friday, December 8, 2023 by 5:00p.m. EST, and must include the following information:
1. Name, address and contact information
2. Specific research aim – 1 page
3. Academic accomplishments and research experience – 1 page
4. How the Alwaleed Research Fellowship would benefit their career – 1 page
5. An outline of the proposed research plan and methods – 3 pages
6. Letters of support and recommendation from 3 academic advisors or mentors
7. A brief CV (not to exceed 2 pages).
8. A brief list of relevant publications – 1 page
All previous research experience and accomplishments, the potential to pursue innovative research, demonstrated ability to work independently while part of a larger research team or collaborative effort and publication history will be taken into account by the Review Committee.
The DHFMR Fellowship Review Committee will consider all applications for the Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Research Fellowship Award and will recommend the successful candidate(s) to the DHFMR Board of Trustees. The successful candidate will be notified by the DHFMR Board of Trustees after its Spring 2024 meeting. Funding will be available from July 1, 2024.
Please submit applications to:
Ms. Cheryl King
Dubai Harvard Foundation for Medical Research